Thursday, November 17, 2005

Are women necessary?

CNN.com - 'Are Men Necessary?' - Nov 15, 2005

The title of the book flies in the face of the natural order. But, nowadays, what doesn't? But the story behind the title is more than some kind of militant slam on the masculine sex. One of her underlying themes (in fact, it's a serious point she tries to make) is that men seem afraid of feminine power.

I don't think she has it quite on the head. I think, more accurately, men realize that a beautiful, smart and assertive woman will be harder to "get" than (if you forgive the term) a doormat. And, man often epitomizing the human trait of "sloth," doesn't want to work that hard.

Yes, you heard it from me. And, she may be right that there are men that fear feminine power, but if so, I believe it's primarily for that reason--they want someone easy to dominate.

I think a better title for Are Men Necessary should be, Is the slothfulness of character that men exhibit necessary. The answer to that question is a resounding "no," but the title is a bit wordy.

Guys, if you don't want to work hard for that goddess, then you're only gonna get what you aim for. I, personally, appreciate someone who is on an intellectual level similar to my own; and someone who knows what they want and goes and gets it. This is the kind of person you have to respect; and if you can't respect your intimate partner, you have a problem.

Now, I haven't read the book. I am only stating my opinion from reading an article where the author has been interviewed. Some opinions she states I don't agree with; but for this one I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home