Friday, December 23, 2005

If ever a person were more spot-on...

The Suburban Ecstasies: What Death Penalty Advocates Want...

Read it. It says it with more eloquence than I could ever muster even in my wildest dreams. But it says things that any TRULY rational and just person would already know.

What death penalty advocates want ... is death.

There's one thing Seth (the blogger) didn't touch upon: we Americans, in general, have a bloodlust. If we did NOT, then all those popular crime shows--and other violence on TV--wouldn't be such a big seller. Instead of CSI (which I like, sorry), or The Shield (etc) on Prime Time TV, we'd have Disney movies, or even Barney on instead.

Hmm. Barney...

Maybe violence on TV is a good thing. But I digress. You only have to look at what 80% of what's on TV to know that violence SELLS. It makes media moguls RICH. It's the Rubbernecking Phenomenon. Anytime people drive by an accident, they JUST HAVE TO crane their necks around and see if they can find any blood or body parts. It seems like a natural instinct, because I also will feel the compulsion to rubberneck. But I REFUSE to do it. Instead of gawking at other people's misery--and potentially subjecting myself to an accident on the highway, I keep my eyes on the road where they're SUPPOSED TO BE.

I wonder if Americans keep rubbernecking on the TV, drooling like dogs for the next violent scene, will we eventually head for a crash?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home