Monday, May 01, 2006

Diss A. Pointment runs rampant through the town, stark naked!

Illegal immigrants demonstrate economic clout - U.S. Business - MSNBC.com

I've been reviewing my blog...all 329 entries (this one being #329). There was a lot of intelligent (one-sided) discussion throughout most of the blog...and a lot of it was just silly. For comic relief. And yet, it seems very few people ever find any of it interesting. Same seems to go with my book. It's not that when someone actually DOES sit down and read it, they think it (the book AND my blog) sucks. It's just that MOST people don't seem to want to be bothered by thinking or something. They want their Reality TV Shows. Trailer Trash is the new chic (so says MSNBC).

But anyway, now to the topic at hand.

The (real) headline for this news article was "Illegal immigrants demonstrate economic clout." On the main page, it's just "SHOW OF CLOUT" plus some other stuff. Well, perhaps they have shown some economic clout, what with being able to walk away from work to go protest. How much real political clout do they have? Well, lessee...hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants. They have how many votes?

Zero.

It could be just as easy for the owners of these companies to "cooperate" with law enforcement and threaten to call INS if they bail from work again.

Easy.

The real issue is that the illegal immigrant work force is just that: a force. Their stand-down for one day revealed how many of the undesirable jobs that exist out there would not get done if it weren't for them being here.

What's really strange in my mind is that we have thousands upon thousands of migrants taking all the menial jobs...and a lot of the technical and/or white-collar jobs are going to India, Pakistan, etc. This leaves Average Joe with what?

I know from experience that when I have a wife and kid to feed, and I've been doing white-collar work most of my life, and that my jobs have gone overseas (in one form or another), I will be more than willing to work at McDonalds.

But they would never hire me because of me being "overqualified." Duh! But all I want to do is feed my family!

Yes, there are hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants who only want to be able to work and make something of their lives. I feel for these people, as they have had it tough. But there are millions of US Citizens who ALSO want the same thing. Even if it means doing the menial jobs. I know this, because I'm one of them.

How many of those jobs will there be left?

If it is truly in everyone's best interest to ease restrictions on migrant workers, then fine. But while we're ensuring the migrant workers are making money, ensure the citizens of this country ALSO can make money. For crying out loud.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home