Thursday, December 08, 2005

I wouldn't want to be in this man's shoes, even for a billion dollars.

Death Row Dilemma - Newsweek National News - MSNBC.com

As much as I feel for "Tookie's" situation, the person I'm referring to is Gov. Schwarzenegger. Talk about being between a rock and a hard place! When I earlier condemned the concept of the death penalty, I did not intend to judge those who implement it, and/or deny clemency, etc. I am speaking out about the concept itself and the attitudes surrounding it.

Tookie's lawyer said it best: "Is this man worth more to society alive than dead?" Here are the things that I believe are weighing in the governor's mind:

Alive:
Track record indicating true redemption
Multiple nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize (wow)
Gang kids that look up to him that, alive, he can help steer away from the gang life.

Dead:
Political weight to ensure he can implement his agenda, which (I'm hoping) he's doing for the greater good of all Californians
Giving the families of the slain victims closure (revenge or no, it still helps to give closure, I have to admit that..not always, but sometimes)
Comments and statements by others in the law enforcement community that state Tookie's reluctance to admit guilt, show remorse, and/or "snitch" on former gang mates indicate that he is not truly "redeemed."

What a juggling act! So, personally, even though I absolutely abhor the death penalty, I cannot blame Gov. Schwarzenegger for denying clemency, if that were to happen. I wouldn't be happy with it, but I can understand the predicament he finds himself in.

My prayers are with both men tonight.

2 Comments:

Blogger xanadian said...

Tonight is the night. Keep him in your prayers...I know I will.

8:18 AM  
Blogger xanadian said...

I mean both men: the governor and Tookie. Thought I should clarify.

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home