Tuesday, January 30, 2007

No, I AM JESUS!

Meet the Minister Who Says He Is Jesus Christ - Newsweek Beliefs - MSNBC.com (sorry, goes to page 2)

All members of Growing in Grace are expected to tithe—which, along with offerings, yielded $1.4 million for headquarters last year. One of the first orders of business at every service is the collection of money (credit cards accepted)....Such funds help underwrite a lavish lifestyle for de Jesus, including diamond-encrusted gold rings and fancy cars.


First of all, I'm no big fan of the tax man, but here's an operation that needs a visit from the IRS, religious exemption be damned. I guess, like the real Jesus once said (paraphrased), by a man's fruits so shall he be known.

Second of all, I'm NOT going to rant about how stupid these people must be to follow this man's "ministry." I've been doing some reading, and have come to the conclusion that it's quite easy to brainwash even a rocket scientist. Once again, like the real Jesus once said (paraphrased): judge not, because you too will be judged by the same measure.

Finally, I'd like to state I'm starting my own religion. Hell, why not? Everyone else is doing it. ...Or, they're running for President in 2008. But in all seriousness (albeit a little tongue-in-cheek), if I were, I'd refrain from the 'brainwashing' that comes from initiation into cults (and, arguably, in all religions or any form of ideological doctrine). Anyone who has read this blog should know that I am in search of Truth ... although, nobody will ever have the exact same Truth as others (read the book I linked to above). But to be able to intersect my own reality-tunnel with others would allow me to learn things that will help further my quest for truly knowing--as best as I can, anyway--God. And it would do the same for others, who are willing to open their minds and come to the conclusion that they, in fact, do NOT know it all; and may very well be wrong, as I may very well be wrong, also.

...By the same measure...

I believe the human mind capable of incredible feats. I'm not so sure about such paranormal events as telekinesis, clairvoyance, etc; but I do believe we can affect our bodies and our environment, at least to some degree. I also believe that the only way we can continue to grow is through the exchange of ideas amongst people with the same (or similar) goals.

I also know that growth is change, and people are resistant to change.

I also know that if you don't grow, you stagnate, and die. We are all set up to die eventually, anyways...but I mean 'die' in a more metaphysical sense. Imagine if you will if all the knowledge and information that is racing around the internet right now (and/or through whatever other medium you wish to use, be it print, electromagnetic (TV, radio), etc) came to a screeching halt, what that would do to the future of humanity? This is the death I speak of. The death of discovery, the death of society, the death of an ever-expanding freedom.

I also know that we are comfortable with the status-quo. The present is fixed, and the past is known. We don't know what the future holds, and we fear that whatever 'growth' or 'change' may occur would result in our untimely demise. Imagine if all the pioneers of our day had thought that way.

I've made my point. I also don't think anyone can honestly 'found' a 'religion' based off of these tenets, because religion tends to force people into a particular dogma and restrict 'growth'...that is, 'new' ideas are considered heresy because they do not match up with ancient texts written by God-inspired men (but men nonetheless) centuries ago.

Or, in some cases, a mere few years ago. But the dogma is still created.

Eh. Now I'm rambling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home