Sunday, July 10, 2005

"Walk the Walk", or, "If I Had My Druthers..."

I suppose by now, if you've read enough of this blog, you have a pretty clear idea of how I think and what I believe in. If not, let me spell it out for you.

I have no doubts that I'm delusional. I don't consider myself wise, but I think that I do often times have good ideas, and I would be remiss to not share them lest it not create new thought amongst other people. With that having been said, let me tell you what I'd do If I Had My Druthers.

I would form a new society. Can't do it here, so it would have to be on a distant world. Already, this is seeming impossible; but I told you I'm delusional. Anyway. What would this society look like?

1. It would be democratic. I like the US Constitution, and it likes me. We have long chats over a cup of tea. Okay, not really. But I know the founding fathers' hearts were in the right place. The Bill of Rights is your friend.

2. The government would be based solely on those wonderful "inalienable human rights": life, liberty, and the pursuit of beer. I mean, happiness. With that having been said (I love this phrase, apparently...somebody shoot me please!), the government would solely be there to ensure these rights are protected; and that the principles behind Maslow's hierarchy of needs are followed. People deserve a chance to be all they could be. What would our world be like right now if we had done just that? What discoveries would have already been made? What kind of scientific feats would we have accomplished. But that isn't the case. If I had my way, things would be different. With that having been said (there I go again), I'd like to announce my candidacy for President. ... NOT.

Okay, getting a bit too irreverent here.

3. There would be no death penalty. I cannot quote this verbatim, as I don't remember it too clearly, but Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) said it best: "There are those who live who deserve death. There are those who die who deserve life. Can you give it to them?" So, what would I do with the most violent of criminals? Exile them so they can never threaten innocent lives again. In my book (Book 3--nowhere near publishable), the government there does just that--banishes the most incorrigible and dangerous criminals to a desert moon.

4. "Criminals" would be given every chance to properly be corrected before being tossed in a prison (where they can learn new ways of committing crimes). "Cruel and Unusual" would be redefined. I'd reinstate public humiliation (stocks...except not quite that way). Bruising the ego is much more effective than bruising the flesh. And if it's someone stealing solely to feed their family (or their habit), I'd instate counseling and therapy. If all else failed, and/or the person just doesn't want to try, then they go into not a minimum-security prison...not house arrest (like Martha)...it would be supermax. No way could they be in a situation where they could "learn" new tricks of the trade.

5. The social system: a lot of funding (running either just ahead or just behind military if it were needed) would go straight to education. There would be enough social welfare funds for those just put out of work for whatever reason (or unable to for whatever reason) and for the retirees. Outside of that, I'd have it so that the disabled had access to Vocational Rehabilitation (which I have)--a way to learn new trades they can use to feel some form of fulfillment in life and earn a decent wage. Other things could go in there too. I would definitely ensure there was enough funding in our elementary and subsequent schooling.

6. Affirmative action would go right out the window (I'm sure I just made a lot of enemies with that statement). But remember: this is a NEW society, first and foremost. That, and to make laws telling minorities they have certain rights in my opinion makes me wonder if they were less than a citizen to begin with. In the past, this was true. But the 13th and 14th Amendments should be more than enough. If I were a minority, and I was told I needed special laws to give me rights I should already have, I'd be irate! But, AA is a necessary evil in a world where people still cling to bigoted and antiquated ideals. In my society, I'd create a "double-blind" hiring law. In the first phase of hirihg, the hiring manager could only see the resume and references. In the second phase (the interview), the hiring manager could only see a representative amount of the individual, and the voice would be disguised. Enough would be shown to indicate cleanliness, posture, and other signs the manager needs to know if the person is a good candidate or not. This way, race can NEVER enter into the picture. If a company violated this rule, further hiring would be supervised either in a government hiring facility (already designed for this "double-blind" hiring process), or a representative of the labor department would watch the hiring process at the company's headquarters.

This is all I can think of at the moment. My biggest thing is for the free expression of the people; and to preserve their "inalienable human rights." People should be free to be whatever they can be, with minimal interference from the government (if possible). Of course, there will always be the need for safeguards--people being what they are (or can be).

I think I'm done for the night. Constructive input is welcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home