Wednesday, August 10, 2005

The new purpose of this blog

It has almost been six months since I first started this blog. A very select few (not because I'm choosy but because others are, I'm sure) have followed me on the journey of increased wisdom, knowledge and compassion. As always, I vent my opinion on various subjects ranging from public nudity to the death penalty; and I've come to realize that the purpose of my blog has gone from just being a creative outlet.

It is my sincerest hope that others who do read this blog will share their opinions on my opinions. I have mentioned this in a previous post: good arguments lead to greater wisdom. I aim to make it almost a community of sorts, where people will also share what they think would not only improve their lives, but the lives of others.

I have included three prominent links on the sidebar. One is to the David Lynch Foundation. I don't have the whole story on how they work or what their ultimate goal is (and how do they intend to reach it, most importantly); but I do believe in the power of meditation; and that it DOES reduce stress and can potentially improve all of our lives.

Second on the list is "Waiter Rant," which is oftentimes humorous and other times quite serious. It also touches on some sensitive issues, ranging from death to just not being an asshole.

Next is a third site that is provocative enough so that it will make you think; which I believe is extremely important: The Reverend Billy and the Church of Stop Shopping. Apparently, even Kurt Vonnegut (a big-time writer on things philosophic and political as I remember it) has put his name on this man's list. This man is a huge proponent of First Amendment rights, neighborhood preservation, and global and environmental justice. And he hates Starbucks. Major point in my book. *GRIN*

Lastly, I have a bit of a project for you all. If you look at this post, you can see I have already started a list of ideas for what a "new society" should be like. Add to this list. This is your homework assignment. I realize creating a society like this would be near impossible; so the work is solely academic. But, I think it will be fun to see what we can cook up.

Until later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home