Monday, October 03, 2005

Beer, tempura or pancake?

October is National Domestic Abuse Awareness Month.

I sometimes like to joke about "awareness" months. Such as drug abuse awareness. "Yes," I say, "I'm aware there's drug abuse. I think I need more of it, thank you." I mean, DUH, of COURSE there's drug abuse. Unless you've spent your entire life hidden under a rock, you're aware of the existence of drug abuse, also.

Here's something most people AREN'T aware of when it comes to domestic abuse: Not all domestic abuse is physical. Hence, my tongue-in-cheek title. What's beer, tempura and pancake have in common? Batter. Abused people aren't just "battered." There's sexual (which still falls under "battered" I guess), emotional, verbal and mental abuse. This includes name-calling, demeaning, neglecting, etc.

I'm "aware" of this because not only have I borne witness to it (abuse), I've been a victim of it. People who see this kind of crap going on and say, "it's none of my business," should have their heads slammed in a door. Repeatedly. Until they get some sense knocked into their skulls.

With that in mind, the Infrequent Song of the Week (tm) is "What's the Matter Here" by Ten Thousand Maniacs.

Side note: Despite my cheeky title, I take domestic abuse VERY SERIOUSLY. It's my number one Hot Button.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home