Monday, December 12, 2005

Fount of negativity

The link is relevant to this post, insomuch that Huna deals with creating your own reality. Positivity (optimism) and negativity (pessimism) affect this in ways you probably can't believe.

My father is a fount of negativity. The world is out to get him. Not literally, but figuratively. My son's mother, my son and I are stuck living in the same house as him for an indefinite time until we can get our new place to some level of comfort and livability. Yesterday, he opts to bitch and gripe about the state of the kitchen (which he is partially responsible for as he leaves stuff around all over the place) and to insinuate that my son's mother is a bad mother (specifically, how she is "on the computer all the time"). She, of course, heard this and blew up. I opted to sit him down and talk to him; and try (operative word: try) to explain things to him. How I understand his position, but how his attitude is helping to just drag him further down. I challenged him, in the end, to go a day without saying the words "can't" or "cannot".

I, on the other hand, have lately been putting my best effort (and a little more) towards thinking positively. Our most recent challenge was to find firewood (aged) at a reasonable price. All I could find was $200 per cord, and there was no way I could afford that. However, (as reward for my patience and understanding yesterday?) the current owner of the old dojo (my old sensei) called me at work bright and early this morning to tell me that I can get aged firewood through him (from a guy I've been trying to contact for MONTHS) for only $120 per cord.

I jumped on it.

I had explained to my father about what Jesus meant when he said "by a man's fruits shall he be known." Essentially, this can also mean that (to use an old cliche) "the proof is in the pudding." The result is the proof of the means. His negative attitude has only helped bring more negativity to his life (mounting bills, etc) and drive people away. My positive attitude, on the other hand, has helped bring all the things I need (not necessarily want) to me.

I hope that I can lead by example; the examples that can be found in my life. This transformation of the mind has done nothing but help me, but I still have a long way to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home