Monday, April 03, 2006

Now, who's the stupid person here?

SB XL trip adds 4.5 years to man's sentence - NFL - MSNBC.com

Tank Carter, for not showing up for prison (6 months for driving on a revoked license?!?)? Or the judge for (a) allowing 6 months for such a stupid offence and (b) adding 4 1/2 years to it for Tank not showing up for prison?

You decide.

Personally, I'm voting for the judge...AND the morons who passed this law. Well, it's the legislature for "Hanging Chad" Florida, so I guess I can't be surprised. It's not like more than 1% of the US population is in prison or anything. What's asinine is that we taxpayers are expected to pay for incarcerating someone for such a long time for (what I feel) is a trivial issue. Now, if the offense was a OUI/DWI (whatever), that's a different animal. But 4 1/2 extra years just to be with his brother is pretty stupid. An extra 6 months would have been MORE than enough.

But that's just me.

Remember when I bitched about how ridiculous it was to put someone in jail for a traffic fine they couldn't afford to pay? Not the operative word here is "afford." Essentially, the United States has rocketed back about 200 years, back to the days of "debtor prisons." How draconic. I'm so glad we live in such a modern society.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home