Monday, May 15, 2006

How are we even able to breed?

78,348 Listings in Maine

I made a note of this last night and didn't get around to it today, but what the hey.

Okay. On Adult Friend Finder (online dating service), there are over 78,000 people (or couples, groups, etc) looking for sex (or just dating). However, almost HALF of those profiles are of men looking for women. 36,478, to be exact. How many women are looking for men?

3,464. 1 women to 11 men??? Something seems strangely off about that. Maybe it's just Maine. Yeah. That's it. I'll browse ALL profiles in the United States and see what we get.

Men looking for women: 7,427,476.
Women looking for men: 634,025.

????? <== me, confused

That's almost 1 woman to TWELVE men! Twelve angry men, I'll bet. Sounds like a jury. Ahem, anyway...

Last time I checked, the number of men in the United States was about proportionate to the number of women (49 to 51% if I remember correctly). So how is it that on this dating site, there are 11 men essentially vying for 1 woman? Did the laws of statistics suddenly go crazy overnight? Or, could it be that women DO NOT look for mates on online dating services?

Hmm.

I looked at my Yahoo! Personals account. I tried looking at a large area for demographics, but they cap search results to 1000. So I looked for women looking for men, within 25 miles of where I live. I received 46 matches. Now, I'm going to look for men looking for women, within 25 miles. I get...

57!

46 to 57 isn't too out of whack, I suppose. I'd like to see a better representation, though.

Mate1.com gives me these results (18-40 in Maine only)

Women seeking men: 421
Men seeking women: 428

Much closer to normal.

Okay, after that extensive bit of research, I can clearly state that it's just Adult Friend Finders that is out of whack. Lesson: if you're a man looking for a woman, DO NOT USE AFF...unless you want to compete with 10-11 other men.

I'll keep everyone posted on what else I discover.

UPDATE: I just looked on match.com. For the state of Maine (ok, well, 100 miles of where I live) between ages 18 and 40:

Women seeking men: 328
Men seeking women: 411

It still seems that men are more likely to use online services than women. Why is this, I wonder? For us desperate (uh, no, I mean, for THOSE desparate) men looking for dates, where do we (I mean, THEY) go to find quality women? Or women in general? Are bars still the way to go? I cannot picture myself walking up to some woman in a bar, dressed in a leisure suit (not the woman!), and saying, "Hey, baby, what's your sign?"

BARF!

No, no...that can't be it. I've heard of people meeting the loves of their lives in church.

"Wanna go out with me?"

"Sure!"

"Can I get an AMEN!?"

That seems kind of tacky. Church is for worship, not dating. Hmm. Think... think, think, think... I'll have to start a poll, or see if Ask.com has an answer. This is definitely one of those burning questions!!!

UPDATE 2: Mate1.com, which has about 400 women seeking men, costs almost $50 a month! Holy Cow! Match.com, which has about the same number of women looking for men, but within a smaller area (that means all the women are CLOSER to me), costs anywhere from $35 down to $16 a month (if you get their super-special package deal, over multiple months). Based on that, it would be more economical to use Match.com over Mate1.com. Fifty bucks!? What a joke. I e-mailed their support department pretty much stating this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home