Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Greetings from Wireless, USA

Apparently, someone around here has a wireless network they'll let anyone tap into. I'm writing this blog through such a link right now. I know in NYC they have wireless access points (WAPs, or just APs) all around Central Park, so that people can surf the net while watching the ducks. Allegedly, Bangor, Maine (Yes, Maine!) has a similar network.

And, apparently, so does Hallowell. I'm down here visiting my son (and his mother), getting ready for yet another interview tomorrow (and maybe a second interview). I just powered on my laptop to do some web designing, when my computer said, "There are wireless networks in your area."

Sweet!

The past week has been ... well, okay, I suppose. Kind of boring. I'm starting my own business: web design (hence why I started using my laptop tonight). Strictly service. The premise is that if a company wants a quick and professional-looking website put up, I can do it for around $500 (less than industry standards, even in Maine). The secret: templates. And a really cool tool for putting everything together. I still get into the "guts" of the HTML/scripting code; but tool is designed so that even a monkey can slap together a bunch of text and pictures and make a very professional website. You can check out an example of what can be done here: IDS

Also, being on a big techie nerd kick, I decided to beef up my regular computer that I've been using for the past year or so. You know... (or maybe not, I don't know) it's the computer that I slapped a 933 Pentium III into so I could play World of Warcraft. Well, I took EVERYTHING out of the case, got a taller case, put a BETTER motherboard in that case and threw (not literally) everything into the new case.

Plus about 220 GB of disk space. Why, you ask? I've been tooling around with streaming media, and am designing it (since I rarely ever play Warcraft anymore...haven't for a month, anyway) to be a media server. That's me and my technolust for you. My ISA sound card (Sound Blaster AWE 64) won't fit on the new motherboard: there are only PCI slots. So I have no sound on the media server.

How ironic.

I give this past week a "7", just because I got to get my hands all dusty and grimy (there was a mess of dust in my old computer...yuck).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home